Thursday, 7 July 2016

Pumpkin Spiced Pancakes


I don't know what's come over me in the last week or so but I've been really into autumnal flavours. I used my basic yogurt pancake recipe and added in some spices and realised afterwards that I had pretty much made pumpkin spice pancakes, so enjoy! - Bekki

Ingredients;
125g plain flour
285g yogurt
1 egg
2tbsp milk
1tbsp dark brown soft sugar
1tsp baking powder
1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2tsp mixed spice
1/2tsp ground cinnamon
1/2tsp ground nutmeg
1/2tsp vanilla extract

Equipment;
Heavy based non-stick frying pan

Method;
  • Place all of your ingredients into a jug and mix together until a smooth batter is formed. It should be thick but not as thick as cake mixture. If it seems a little heavy, add an extra tablespoon of milk to slacken.
  • Place the frying pan over a medium-low heat.
  • Take 1 tablespoon of batter per pancake and fry gently, flipping when bubble appear and burst at the surface.
    I personally do not oil or add butter to the pan as this can cause burning and horrible smokiness in the pan. If you have a good quality non-stick frying pan, you won't need to add anything to prevent sticking.
  • Continue until all the batter is used up, placing the cooked pancakes on a sheet or two of kitchen towel to prevent them from going soggy whilst you continue cooking.
  • Serve with whatever toppings and accompaniments you desire - I went for honey and some chia seeds.


Verdict;

The flavour of these pancakes offers a little something different. Pancakes are a nice treat as they are but with a few spices added in they instantly become more interesting. They're light and fluffy and also keep really well in the fridge for a day or two so if you wanted to make them ahead and just pop them in the pan to warm up in the morning, that is definitely an option. This recipe typically makes about 15 pancakes which is impossible for me to eat in one go (although I've been know to give it a good try!) so I often wait until they're stone cold and then pop them in the fridge for the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment