Thursday, 7 July 2016

Vegan Rice Pudding


I am acutely aware that rice pudding does not make for a sexy photograph. It does however, make for sexy mouth times. I had some almond milk that needed using up and I had a craving for stodge. The result was this, enjoy! - Bekki

Ingredients;
100g arborio/pudding rice
50g light brown soft sugar
700ml almond milk
Pinch of salt
Nutmeg to taste (ready ground or grated)
A little coconut oil to grease dish

Equipment;
Medium heatproof baking dish

Oven temp;
160c/320f/Gas 3

Method;
  • Place all of the ingredients aside from the nutmeg into a saucepan and gently bring up to a boil.
  • Grease your heatproof dish with coconut oil and add nutmeg to the saucepan. I used approx 1tsp but you can use less or more depending on how you like it.
  • Place the ingredients into the dish and pop into the oven for 45 minutes.
  • Take out the pudding and stir - it is not yet cooked through but giving it this stir through means that everything cooks evenly rather than sticking to the sides or bottom.
    There will be a skin on top of the pudding. You can either peel it off and throw it away or you can stir it through, completely your choice.
  • Sprinkle a little more nutmeg over the top of the pudding and return to the oven for 30 minutes.
  • Remove and allow to stand for 15 minutes before serving (unless you are a fan of a very burnt mouth!)

Verdict;

Real homely and comforting food. This is more of a winter type treat for me but I was really craving something sweet and stodgy that wasn't cake based. This came to my rescue.
If you prefer your rice pudding a little looser, add an extra 100ml of milk to the recipe as this will make for a saucier pudding. I just personally enjoy it as stodgy as possible. Tastes great with raisins added - try adding 100g of them to the recipe at the midway-stir point.

No comments:

Post a Comment