Friday, 1 July 2016

Warm Potato and Samphire Salad


I found myself in a strange position, with a carton of samphire in the fridge and no idea what to do with it. I've loved it whenever I have had it in restaurants, with its fresh, briny taste and snappy crunch, but when faced with cooking it myself, I didn't have a clue! Eventually, I came up with a simple warm, dressed salad that showcased all of the best elements of each ingredient - Pip


Ingredients
  • 500g new potatoes
  • 100g samphire
  • 50g pine nuts
  • 1 large lemon
  • 3 sprigs rosemary
  • 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 50ml olive oil
Equipment
  • Sautee pan
  • Sauce pan
  • Vegetable peeler
Method
  • Slice the potatoes in half lengthwise and put into the pan with the rosemary sprigs.
  • Use the peeler to strip the rind from the lemon and add that to the pan, before pouring over boiling water and putting on the heat.
  •  After five minutes, add the samphire to the pan.
  • Whilst the potatoes and samphire are boiling, combine the honey, mustard and olive oil and squeeze in the juice from the lemon you peeled. Mix until emulsified and creamy looking.
  • Once the potatoes have reached a texture where they are soft but still firm, drain them and leave them to steam dry for a couple of minutes.
  • Meanwhile, heat a little oil in a sautee pan and toast the pine nuts until they begin to brown.
  • Toss in the potato and samphie mix and toss in the hot oil until the potato begins to go a little crisp on the edges.
  • Take off the heat and, just prior to serving, toss in the dressing. Do this when it is still hot so that it absorbs the dressing and takes on the flavours.
  • Plate up and enjoy!
Verdict

Though I had this on its own, this would work so well as a side dish, perhaps with a slice of Bekki's asparagus, pea and bacon quiche. It would be great cold, too, maybe as part of a picnic spread as an alternative to a standard mayonnaise laden potato salad. The potato is firm and creamy, the samphire is salty and mellow, and the dressing is sweet with a little bite of mustard. It might seem odd to leave the lemon rind in there but, when boiled like this, it almost takes on a lemon drop sweet/sharpness. This has so much flavour and hits so many buttons; I can't wait to make it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment